It didn't take much time in Korea to realize many things I'd long taken for granted: not usually being the tallest person in the room, knowing how to count money, the ability to talk to
children anyone. But then there was a whole separate set of things I realized I had taken for granted when it comes to the bathroom. First, finding one. Second, differentiating between men's and women's (often they both have at least one urinal visible from the usually wide-open door). Then there's the question of whether there will be toilet paper. Or soap.
Why I didn't learn the words for man and woman at the same time I learned "bathroom" (pronounced qwah jahng sheel), I don't know. Which would you choose when faced with these options?
 |
| Left: Woman (yaw) Right: Man (nahm) |
At times I had to lurk outside, waiting for someone to enter or exit. Thankfully, many locations (such as the
baseball stadium) skip the Hangeul and use pictures that not only make my life easier, but also are often pretty creative or amusing. So instead of lurking outside to find out which door to enter, now I lurk outside trying not to look creepy while taking pictures of the signs.
Here's a start - my collection is pretty extensive.
 |
| At a basketball arena. |
 |
| At a temple. |
 |
| At a cultural center. |
No comments:
Post a Comment