17 June 2011

Tipping Point

I remember going on the playground teeter-totter years and years ago with a friend who was almost exactly the same size as me. I would push up from my initial seat on the ground and there would be the exciting upward rush and a bunch of teetering and tottering until we would decide to just sit on the contraption without pushing. We'd gradually slow down until we bobbed parallel to the ground, legs dangling. Then a brief pause; perfect balance. Then finally the plank would tip just a bit to the oh-so-slightly heavier person's side and she would sink slowly back down to the ground to start pushing again or get off the dumb thing.

That image of barely tipping past equilibrium keeps coming to mind as I begin my eighth month in Korea. Just past the halfway point, but still lots to go. Though my Korean language acquisition has stagnated in recent months, at least I'm feeling much more comfortable in the classroom these days (it helps a lot when fourth-graders cheer for me like I'm a celebrity when I walk into the room). I am even looking forward to the week-long summer camps I'll teach in late July and early August (rather than dreading/fearing them like I did in the winter). Pirates and crafts and outdoor games! Look out, Seochang Elementary School!

AND...what's wrong with this picture?


















Right, there is no mail in my box. Come on, send me something. Please? Maybe my address was misplaced, so here it is again. You're welcome.

New Seoul Apt. 102-1202
Mansu 6-dong, Namdong-Gu
Incheon, Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment