19 December 2010

Almost Christmas??

Simple decorations at Bupyeong Market.
Were it not for the calendar, peoples' holiday-themed Facebook updates, and constant singing of Christmas songs in class - this week is Mariah Carey's huge hit, "All I Want for Christmas (Is You)" - I might not even know that The Big Holiday is fast approaching. Oh, and the awesome Christmas care package I received from my mom was a helpful and delicious reminder.

The mild temperatures and lack of snow here are tricking my system - usually garbage weather and piles of snow are easy indicators that fun holidays are around the corner. More than that, though, is the refreshing lack of Christmas commercialism being shoved in my face. There are a modest amount of holiday decorations and I've seen some Salvation Army bell ringers and a band playing carols. But similar to the reaction to North Korean aggression, life goes on as normal when Christmas approaches. No blowout sales, extended shopping hours, special packaging or obnoxious commercials. The stores are already open late, and the vast underground markets (and ubiquitous street vendors) encourage constant shopping rather than just special occasion shopping.

When I've spotted Santa, he's usually been memorable or creepy:
Rappelling?
Playing accordion.
Doing gymnastics.
Not wearing a shirt.

4 comments:

  1. This might be your best post yet...I think you need to start writing for an ex-pat magazine. Look into it..you're a writting genius.

    Love the pics of Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently I am not...sorry for the incorrect spelling : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart the no shirt santa, I mean that is always been one of my dreams! (or not!)

    ReplyDelete